Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Kandinsky Landscapes

 
This year, sixth grade artists studied Wassily Kandinsky, a Russian-born Abstract Expressionist. We talked a lot about what the words "Abstract" and "Expressionism" mean. I have to say I was extremely impressed with their ability to define and give examples of these complex art terms.

For this project, we also learned a lot about color. We talked about warm and cool colors, and also learned about color idioms ("I'm seeing red," "I'm feeling blue," etc.), why we use them, and why they make sense. Students then chose a mood to express with color. An eerie mood, for example, might require different color choices than a happy or excited mood.

Here are some of my students' beautiful, abstract landscapes.
 
 



 


 

 


 PS: This project idea came from the wonderful art blog, Arte a Scoula.

No comments:

Post a Comment